Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:04:24 +0100
From:      Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>
To:        Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, rsh <bsdgroup.md@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: External HDD

Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 2/7/07, Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net> wrote:
>> rsh wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > For backup purposes, i need removable HDD, connected through USB or
>> > Fireware
>> >
>> > I'm really impressed by Transcend solution and would like to use their
>> > Transcend 1.8" Portable HDD 20 GB, USB 2.0
>> > It takes power directly from USB.
>> >
>> > Did somebody have success with this device?
>> >
>> > If it is a bad idea, any suggestions for External HDD ?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> Why would you want 1,8" ? That is very small indeed, but very limited as
>> well and expensive. You might as well buy a 2,5" (notebook) drive with
>> enclosure, that would just be recognised by FreeBSD as USB mass storage
>> device (umass) and works perfectly with me. Also most 2,5" enclosures
>> allow for USB power so only 1 cable is needed; though often they provide
>> an additional power supply if you use a 7200rpm drive which uses a lot
>> of power. My advice: go for Samsung 5400rpm drives they are very
>> power-efficient and still quite fast.
>
> 1.8"? 2.5"?

1,8" are extremely small drives; like compactflash models or so
2,5" are regular notebook drives -- too very small
3,5" are, as you know, regular drives.

The problem is, 3,5" drives use a lot of power (some 30W spinup); you
cannot pull that much from USB cable so external enclosures for 3,5"
drives will have a power adapter; this makes two cables while rsh wanted
just one cable; you can only do that with 2,5" and below. So i recommend
2,5" drives.

> I have a Sarotech Hardbox enclosure for 3.5"
> drives and I prefer using Seagate drives inside.

Seagate gets rather hot; Samsung is a lot better in that respect.

- Veronica