Date:      Sun, 16 May 2010 23:03:58 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Christias <christias@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quantum SuperLoader 3 under Bacula on FreeBSD 8

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrot=
e:
> I am currently assembling a quote for an LTO-4 tape backup system. =A0So =
far, I am looking at using a 16-slot Quantum SuperLoader 3 with LTO-4HH dri=
ve as the tape unit. =A0Married to this will be a server to act as the back=
up server that will drive the tape unit using Bacula to manage backups. =A0=
The server will be a quad core X3440 system with 4 GB of RAM and four 1 TB =
SATA 7200 rpm hard drives in a case that has room for eight hot-swap drives=
. =A0I plan on using FreeBSD 8 on the system, using ZFS to raidz the drives=
 together to provide spool space for Bacula. =A0I will be using an Areca AR=
C-1300-4X PCIe SAS card to interface with the tape drive.

> My main question is this: is the Quantum SuperLoader 3 LTO-4 tape drive s=
upported by Bacula 5 on FreeBSD? =A0In particular, is the autoloader suppor=
ted? =A0The Bacula documentation indicates the SuperLoader works fully unde=
r Bacula, though not explicitly whether under FreeBSD.

> The backup server will serve a network cluster of perhaps a dozen machine=
s with over 6 TB of storage, most of which is on the cluster's NFS server. =
=A0Does anyone have good advice on sizing the spool/holding/disk pool for a=
 Bacula server? =A0Is it imperative to have enough disk space to hold a ful=
l backup, or is it sufficient to have enough space to maintain streaming to=
 tape? =A0(I don't have much experience of Bacula, having used it only to b=
ack up to disk.) =A0In other words, do I need more 1 TB drives in my backup=
 server?

> Finally, is 4 GB of RAM sufficient for good performance with ZFS? =A0Will=
 ZFS on FreeBSD be able to maintain full streaming speeds to tape, given th=
e various reports of I/O stalls under ZFS reported recently?

> Thanks in advance for any advice or information.

Hello Paul,

we are using successfully a Quantum Scalar 50 with an expansion box
and two F/C FH LTO-4 drives on FreeBSD 7-STABLE and Bacula 5.0.x.
FreeBSD 7-STABLE or 8-STABLE is recommended if you have a QLogiq F/C
card. Having Bacula's spooling area in a fast disk partition (e.g. a
RAID0 volume) would be a good idea too.

Regards,
Panagiotis