Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 03:00:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        mlghome@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems making x11 ports: missing /etc/mtree/BSD.x11.dist

 * I keep running into the same problem making many of the x11 'stable'
 * ports. It can't find the BSD.x11.dist file. It's not on my 2.2.2 CD
 * either.  This is after I tried using cvsup for ports-all. (my prior
 * message).

This was due to the mixup in the release process.  It has since been
fixed, but 2.2.2 went out without BSD.x11.dist in /etc/mtree.

 * What's the 'best' way to get the up-to-date files and keep them current?

It should be in the source distribution (/usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.x11.dist).
Or, you can get the "2.2.2-to-2.2-stable-upgrade-kit" you can get
from "http://www.freebsd.org/ports/".

 * Also, after my first 2-day marathon 'make world' following the 2.2.2 CD
 * and then multiple cvsup's for stable, do I do a 'make world' after each
 * cvsup? Will it run much faster now, i.e. only do makes for the
 * downloaded updates or is there a better way to rebuild my system after
 * weekly cvsup's?

I'll let someone else answer that.  If you already have the source
tree, you should probably just go to /usr/src/etc/mtree and copy
BSD.*.dist to /etc/mtree.

 * I guess I'm starting to get a FreeBSD addition. ;-)

Oh yes, it's addictive.  I can attest to that. :)

Satoshi