Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:48:39 -0700
From:      Sri Ramkrishna <sramkris@ichips.intel.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Goeringer, Michael" <goeringerm@keywest.ird.rl.af.mil>, "'Steve Hovey'" <shovey@buffnet.net>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: capping forks

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.970922211648.6177E-100000@gdi.uoregon.edu> you write:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Goeringer, Michael wrote:
>
> > In the kernel you can set CHILD_MAX=<your number here>.  Ofcourse this
> > affects the entire system so Doug may have a better solution.
>
> I couldn't think of anything offhand.  I'm not familiar with the login
> capabilities database though, there is a ``maxproc'' item that could be
> used to limit the number of childs.  This would be user-wide and not
> overridable very easily.

First off, I'm not sure what the original thread was, this just caught
my interest.  Under BASH, you can use "limit" to set limit the number of
processes a user can have.  You could write a wrapper script around
the application with this set using bash.  I don't think tcsh or ksh has
an equivalent.    So you would have to install bash.  Depending on your
frame of mind, it could be a good or a bad thing. :-)

Alternatively, if you have source, you could use select to limit the
number of calls to accept you could have.  (although you don't even need
select for that)

	sri