Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:36:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM driver bug -- causes system lockup!

> On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > I recently bumped the eject button on my CD-ROM drive.  Now I know that this
> > should not be done -- I should run umount first -- but anyway, I did it.  I
> > realized my mistake, and quickly ran umount /cdrom (it was mounted on
> > /cdrom).  At that point, the system locked up with a panic.
> >
> > My CD-ROM drive is a Sony CDU33A.
>
> I wouldn't call this a bug.  I can make FreeBSD do strange things if I
> eject a floppy before unmounting it.

I can perhaps understand it if other programs are trying to access it.  But
all I did is run umount, and it caused a panic.  That's a bug.

> Other CDs (like my Plextor 4plex+) lock the tray in.  Your Sony doesn't
> support this it looks like.

Yes, the CD-ROM drive supports the lock feature.  There are DOS programs to
lock/unlock it.

> So in the future, avoid that eject button :-)

Guess I'll have to :-)

--
John Goerzen          | Turn your PC into a Workstation for FREE!
Custom programming    | Check out www.freebsd.org NOW!  For free FreeBSD