Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:20:00 -0400
From:      Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD printing hardware

I am shopping for a system, and want to make sure that I get a printer
configuration which works fairly well with FreeBSD and hopefully ghostscript.
I was thinking of getting 2 printers (one color inkjet and one monochrome
laser jet).  My questions become:

	1) I would like to get high resolution color output on the inkjet,
		do people have specific printer recommendations (I was
		considering an Epson Stylus 850).  Are there any
		good inkjets with native postscript support (I'd
		be willing to pay a bit more for it I guess).
	2) Is there any recommendations regarding PCI cards providing an
		extra parallel port that I should be aware of (one vendor
		here is pushing SIIG cards)?
	3) For the printer suggested in (1) how can I get the best
		output quality if I must use a software driver
		(e.g. ghostscript installation hints and options).
	4) For a monochrome laser, is an HP1100 or HP2100 (if I feel rich :-)
		a good choice?

Regards:

Bill Maniatty