Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:01:47 -0600
From:      Julian Peterson <weaver@earthcorp.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Newbies" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OH MY GOD

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 1:45 pm, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Julian writes:
> > You can still download *everything* (as iso
> > images if you wish) that comes with RH Pro from
> > their website.
>
> For the moment, perhaps.  But wait and see.  Red Hat is not going to be
> the first exception to the rule in the history of capitalism.  As they
> get greedier, the idea of giving _anything_ away will seem more and more
> like giving away the goose that lays the golden eggs, and little by
> little, it will all become proprietary, one way or another.

Everything that they've done so far is GLP'd, so that's there forever in
any case.  And they're not stupid, they know if they start closing things
up, that people will desert them... they're aware that it's not their
goose.  In any case, even if they did do that, there are other options,
nothings lost... it is after all just one packaging of a set of free
software.

> > The method they choose is through support
> > and services, and that seems to be working
> > for them thus far.
>
> Until they want more money, at least.

I doubt that.  It's very hard to make money on something that can be gotten
for free.

> > err, FreeBSD is just like a "distribution", 'cept
> > there's only one to choose from.
>
> Good!

Right, that scary choice thing is baaaaaad

> > If you don't like the idea of commercial distributions,
> > there's Debian for example.
>
> I'll just take FreeBSD.

That's fine.  I use both.  That's not the issue.