Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 17:24:16 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami), mike@smith.net.au, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who built XFree86 with Kerberos?

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> My suggestion would be that we either: a) go to some sort of
> automation scheme which [re]builds packages on an ongoing basis and,
> at release time, I just take a snapshot of the collection or b) We try
> appointing a ports/packages releasemeister who's responsible for doing
> in ports what I do for src each time a release rolls around.  This
> person could be paid since it's important to Walnut Creek CDROM
> that packages and distfiles be rendered into ISO images periodically,
> especially now that we have this "toolkit" CD for FreeBSD in addition
> to the usual 4 CD sets.

How about breaking the ports collection into pieces, or at least
breaking away large chunks.

I would be quite happy to donate a regular CRON job to build a
nominated set of ports (eg: all the security stuff, all shells,
teTeX, p5-*, m[y]sql, all four emacsen, and tcl8*/tk8*; I could
easily be talked into doing a lot more.) Do that with a few
other suckers^h^h^h^h^h^hvolunteers, and the load on Satoshi /et
al/ should drop quite a bit for very little effort.

Mark Murray