Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:46:49 +0200
From:      Yani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz
Cc:        database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mysql 321 - Mysql 322 - msql

Andrew McNaughton wrote:

> It's possibly stronger on features, but it's slower than mysql.  It is
> speed he's emphasizing.

Yes. It's much stronger on features, but (i heard, never tried it) mysql
doesn't have commit/rollback command. It's a very big disadvantage.

> there was some discussion earlier this year on this list about adding
> indexes suitable for fulltext searching  to PostgreSQL.  Did anything
> happen in the end? It's the one feature I'd really like to have.  I
> suspect  it would be an important one to James also.

I don't know the end of this discussion.
I have a friend who is an internet provider. They use mysql on (Linux)
for database containing offers for selling/renting houses. He said that
in the begining, when the database was smaller mysql was may be the best
choice, but now he is preparing to move to PostgreSQL 6.4 on FreeBSD.
He's not satisfied with mysql for bigger databases.
He said also the same thing for Linux and FreeBSD. :)

--ian