Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:37:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jamie@inna.net, toneil@visigenic.com, jfieber@indiana.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

> > > You're wrong Terry.  The win31 -> win95 upgrade copies your autoexec and
> > > config files to .dos, and rems some of the old drivers (like msdex) out,
> > > but overall it will use the 16bit dos drivers happily.
> >
> > Not according to King and Schulman...
>
> Terry, watch me, and repeat this on your keyboard.
>
> 'I was wrong, you are correct.'
>
> Don't trust to justify yourself and change the subject.  It only makes
> you look silly and petty.  Admit you are wrong.
>
> I looked through the databases and couldn't find any articles where you
> admitted you were wrong, so I want to see it once.

You can't *use* what you don't *load*.

I agree that it renames the files... I said it before you did, in fact:

] to "config.dos" and "autoexec.dos" so that they will not be run by default.

YES, the drivers it doesn't like are REM'ed out in this process.

NO, Windows95 does not run autoexec.dos or load from config.dos.

> ps. I also know you are wrong because the same thing happened when I
> upgraded to Win95 on my box.

I am typing this from a telnet running from a Windows95 box.  I am an
MSDN level II developer.  I have done significant amounts of ring 0
programming, including porting the Heidemann VFS framework to Windows95
and correcting the problems in it there which you won't let me correct
in FreeBSD.  I know what the hell I am talking about.

Have you even read the Schulman book, where it talks about incrementally
going from "DOS 7.0" to "Windows95", a VXD at a time?  The boot process
and dependencies are described in detail.

I can not speak for your experiences, except to say that they are
quite bizarre, and not in line with my own.  Given that I had access
to the Windows95 Alpha and have been installing the thing over and
over (I did work on FS drivers -- duh) since around December of 1994,
I *probably* have installed it more than you have.  And I'm telling
you that your experiences are not my experiences, and I can not
explain how you arrived at yours.

Here are all the files references by io.sys in the boot state of Win95;
repeititions not differeing by drive letter are used during "safe mode"
booting, which is implemented in io.sys.:

	C:\SYSTEM.DAT
	\CONFIG.SYS
	A:\COUNTRY.SYS
	\HIMEM.SYS
	\ASPI2DOS.SYS
	\ASPI2HLP.SYS
	\DBLBUFF.SYS
	\IFSHLP.SYS
	C:\MSDOSSYS.STS
	IO.SYS
	MSDOS.SYS
	C:\MSDOS.SYS
	CONFIG.SYS
	WINBOOT.SYS
	MBRINT13.SYS
	QEMM386.SYS
	DBLS.BIN
	\LOGO.SYS
	C:\IO.SYS
	C:\WINBOOT.SYS
	\COUNTRY.SYS
	\AUTOEXEC.BAT
	AUTOEXEC.BAT

*NOTICE* the *lack* of references to "config.dos" and "autoexec.dos".

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---