Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:52:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      L Goodwin <xrayv19@yahoo.com>
To:        Joseph Mays <mays@win.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP5/MySQL Problem

Please ignore if this problem has already been solved.

--- Joseph Mays <mays@win.net> wrote:

> Been dealing with a very frustrating couple of days,
> and have hit a wall. I
> had a working gallery2 installation, then upgraded
> mysqli, and  all hell
> broke loose.
>
> When I try to open a page (in this case gallery2)
> that connects to the
> database. It always says "Too many open links". The
> thing is, it even says
> that if mysqld is not running.
>
> I'm running under freebsd 6.1.
>
> You can examine my server setup at
> http://geekfleet.tai-gear.com/server-info
>
> You can examine the php setup at
> http://geekfleet.tai-gear.com/phpinfo.php
>
> The problem I'm having now is that php5 won't
> connect to the mysql server.
> It's not a gallery thing, I've confirmed that I have
> the exact same problem
> with a simple script to just connect to the mysql
> server and read the
> database. And, in fact, the exact same error occurs
> if mysqld is not running
> at all. Apache shows --
>
> [Mon Jul 16 02:07:10 2007] [error] [client
> 66.249.66.10] PHP Warning:
> mysql_connect() [<a

href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]:
> Too many
> open links (0) in

/usr/local/www/apache22/data/gallery2/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.in
> c.php on line 366

Note that it says 0 open links is too many.
Note also that the file error was reported in is
"adodb-mysql.inc.php". I haven't used ado to connect
to MySQL but perhaps it does not get the limit from
the mysql.max_persistent setting in the MySQL section
of php.ini. Check line 366 in adodb-mysql.inc.php and
look for a call to "get_ini(" and see what variable it
is specifying (or perhaps it's a hardcoded value?).