Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:05:37 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WITHOUT_X vs. WITHOUT_X11 vs. NO_X

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 05:42:32PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Well, if we're going to open it up for discussion, I think it should
> work like the GNOME/GTK/GLIB/etc. knobs. Ports would set WANT_X. The
> makefiles would check to see if the user had set WITH_X or WITHOUT_X
> and if neither were set, check to see if X was installed, then set
> HAVE_X appropriately. The port would then check HAVE_X to see if it
> should build with or without X.

Yup.  I am also looking at extending the GNOME/GTK/GLIB knobs beyond
a simple yes/no to include a version number, eg:

	USE_GTK=	12
	USE_GNOME=	14

Extending this to Tcl/Tk will also help out somewhat, though this will
be slightly complicated by the japanese/* etc ports where there are
different versions.  Think:

	USE_TK=	83	(implies USE_TCL= 83)
	USE_TCL= ja83	(use japanese/tcl83)

and so on.

Extending this to X, we would end up with:

	WITH_X= 3,4  (perhaps x11-3, x11-4 to cover a possible x12-*)

allowing us to deprecate XFREE86_VERSION.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			       ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/