Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 1996 20:45:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com, toor@dyson.iquest.net
Subject:   Re: AMD doesn't like SNAP! (panic: unwire: page not in pmap)

> So far three people, including myself, have reported the above panic
> message when booting the 3/3 SNAP kernel.  All three of us have AMD DX4
> processors (100 and 120MHz).  This has got to be the problem!  John,
> Jordan, people working on the VM system, take note..  Thanks!

Can all three of you tell me if you have A80486DX4-100NV8T's or
A80486DX4-100SV8B's?  The difference is the SV8B is the write back
enhanced DX4 and unless you have a motherboard that understands
how to deal with this you are going to have a cache coherency problem
between the internal and external cache.

I have yet to see a MB deal with this correctly when faced with
a bus master SCSI controller, though I have seen some that work fine
as long as no bus mastering is occuring.  Far more don't work than
do work.

If you don't have SV8B's or are not running them in WB mode, then
I don't have any idea what has gone wrong...