Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:23:36 -0600
From:      lambert@cswnet.com
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for others using Toshiba 2805-S201 or similar models

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S201 that is working quite well with
FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.

I am running XFree86 3.3.6 (whatever was on 4.2-RELEASE) at
1024x768x16bpp.

This laptop has a S3 Savage IX/M video chip with 8MB of RAM.  My only
problems with video are that at 32bpp the display is unstable with a lot
of disruption when the display is updated by mouse pointer movement or
drawing of windows.  At 16bpp it does not have that problem.  There is
also the problem with the console being unusable upon exit from the X
server.  This may have something to do with XScreensaver as it only has
problems after it has been left idle long enough for the screensaver to
kick in.  These problems will probably go away as the Savage handling code
in the SVGA server matures.  XF86 4.x may handle it already.  I just
haven't tried yet.

The only hadware in the laptop that I have been unable to use is the
built-in Xircom MPCI modem.  I don't know how to go about determining if
it is controllerless or if I have just not found the right settings for
sio.

I haven't attempted to find a DVD player for it yet.

--
Scott Lambert
lambert@cswnet.com