Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:06:47 +0200
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unifying WWW: pkg-descr lines for cpan ports

--BkEY3RoTgCMsaH6y

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 06:53:30PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 04:14:04PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > I respectfully disagree with Erwin, given that this change (at least th=
e=20
> > first group) won't alter how anything works, I think it should be done=
=20
> > ASAP.
>=20
> My personal interpretation of the "sweeping changes" rule is that it is
> primarily designed to keep the current ports dependency tree as close as
> lock-step to the packages that have already been built to go on the CDs.
> So, if a tag has to slip on port X, we don't also have to slip tags on N
> different dependent ports -- or, in the degenerate case, re-freeze the
> tree and rebuild all the packages.  (I hope everyone can agree that we do
> not want to do that!)
>=20
> As well, things that change shared library revisions or meta-things
> like KDE/GNOME/X are kept the same for similar reasons.
>=20
> So under this interpretation, I would agree with Doug that this change
> would be ok.
>=20
> Any of the other portmgr members have an opinion?
>=20
I guess we need a clearer definition of what a "sweeping" change is.
Under a strict definition, which I applied here, anything touching more
than a few ports should wait. However, with the number of freezes and
thus slushes we have right now due to the number of releases per year, I
think we should be more lax than that and allow non-functional changes
to go in, like pkg-descr and maintainer changes. The downside of this,
is that such a fuzzy definition will get misinterpreted, with all the
consequenses and discussions afterwards.

-erwin

--=20
Erwin Lansing

DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were harmed while sending this message.

--BkEY3RoTgCMsaH6y

--BkEY3RoTgCMsaH6y--