Date:      Sun, 02 Jun 2002 08:32:10 -0500
From:      David LeCount <kenshi@linuxorbit.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel errors

Thanks for your replies. I'm keeping up with the stable branch. I do
cvsups every few weeks. I've looked through the handbook several times,
including just before my first message, and didn't see anything about
the old method being discontinued. It simply says that you should only
use the new method after a cvsup. If it is, however, then that would
explain this problem. But it seems like things I change in the config
file don't get compiled into the kernel with a make buildkernel. For
instance, mount_smbfs complains that it can't find any /dev/nsmb* files,
which there aren't and MAKEDEV won't make them, yet I have all the
options that I'm supposed to in the kernel according to all the
documents I've read. I've also had other various problems which could be
related. I've been looking in all different angles and haven't come up
with anything yet. I can't solve the problem because I'm not even sure
exactly what's causing it. Thanks again.