Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:35:30 +1100
From:      BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   What I've gathered about the soft updates discussion

Hiya all,

Please excuse me and if I sound ignorant but I am really trying to get
my head around soft updates and UNIX (especially FreeBSD) file systems
in general. I think the discussion on the topic so far has been very
good and for everyone's sake (and mine) here are a few things I've
gathered so far:

1. Soft updates is a Good Thing(TM). According to the tuning manpage it
gauruntees file system consistency but along with write caching (enabled
in FreeBSD 4.4+ by default) can lead to data loss. At least to me this
seemed contradictory at first but I think this is what it means (and
please correct me if I am mistaken as I have not actually run tests to
prove any this this yet): if you have soft updates enabled and your
system is shut down uncleanly (ie power failure or crash) an fsck will
be run upon reboot but there will be no metadata or data corruption (
the fsck is only to retreive lost space), however you may lose the
actual data written within the last minute or so.

Please add to this "knowledge base" if you have something you know to be
true (not guessing). I would really like to here from someone
authoratitive on the matter (ie one of the FreeBSD developers who has
worked on the actual soft updates code etc....)

Thanks for your patience everyone.... :-)