Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 00:58:24 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Socketd <db@traceroute.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need some ftp access advice

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:25:55PM +0000, Socketd wrote:
> Hi again
>
> I am running a ftp server, I don't allow anonymous logins and I chroot
> all my users.
> The problem is that I want to hold the above settings, but still give all
> my users a public/joined up- and download dir, how do I do that?
>
> Br
> socketd

One possible way would be to chroot them to /home/ftp and then make the common
dir and the home dirs branch from there.  I don't know off the top of my head
if you can symlink out of a chrooted environment, I'm thinking you can't, but
if you can then that is another option.

So you'd have /home/ftp/upload, /home/ftp/download, both set to read write and
execute for members of the group ftp, then the private dirs would be
/home/ftp/users/someuser, where users is read write execute to the ftp group,
and someuser is read write and execute only to the user someuser.

Josh