Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 09:36:13 +0900
From:      Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware 3.1.1 for Windows and FreeBSD 4.6-RC2

FYI: Same stories is applied to 4.6-RC3.

> I've tried to install FreeBSD 4.6-RC2 on VMware 3.1.1 for Windows
> box.  However,
>
> * kern.flp boots fine, loader started.
> * loader reads mfsroot.flp contents cleanly.
> * kernel starts.  Display USERCONFIG menu.  Skip it.
> * kernel detects devices.
> * sysinstall starts, then "Probing devices, please wait (this can
>   take a while)..." dialog is shown.
> * sysinstall seems to be stalled.
>
> so I cannot install.  Installing 4.5-RELEASE works fine with the same
> VM configuration.  What am I missing?

OK, other users on users-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org (a japanese list) found
that sysinstall doesn't stall if VM configuration has no ATAPI CD-ROM.
When I change my VM config to have SCSI CD-ROM instead, sysinstall
doesn't stall, happily shows the first installation menu.

I know that Mar/30/2002's 4-stable goes fine, since I've checked that
it works before committing src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/devices.c rev 1.139.
However, Apr/15/2002's 4-stable does not.

Anybody knos what's the difference?

***

P.S.: Speaking about atomic_cmpset_int mentioned by iedowse, my
problem is not related to this, since 4-stable's GENERIC kernel
already defines I386_CPU.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita