Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 16:04:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: writes still slower than before recent vm changes

> Bonnie reports that writes are 30%-50% slower than 2 weeks ago.  However,
> iozone reports that writes are slightly faster than 2 weeks ago.  The
> only significant difference between iozone writes and bonnie writes is
> that iozone writes are page-aligned while bonnie writes aren't.  Not
> page aligning the buffers is stupid but shouldn't have such a large
> penalty.

Do either of them pre-create the file?

If the file is precreated, a read must occur before a write can take
place.

The only "real" fix I can see for this would be to modify the cache to
allow I/O in smaller than page-sized chunks, perhaps using a bitmap
to indicate valid 512b chunks of a 4k page.

This would at least reduce the amount of read required for a write.

I don't know exactly what can be done about non-aligned boundries,
though for a non alinged read of 512b or less, we are guaranteed
1/4 of the amount needed to read.  This is still an improvement.

I don't know how this would be impacted by a non-512b dev_bsize, nor
how it should be altered to deal with the issue of frags.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.