Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 01:45:38 +0900
From:      SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: now to shuJIT :-)

> Konnichi-wa,

Konnichiwa,
May I write in Japanese? :)

> Thanks, Katsuyuki, for making shuJIT available! I am on FreeBSD
> 2.2.5-RELEASE and I have difficulties compiling the latest shuJIT
> release.  What happens is:
>
> /usr/bin/gcc -S -fno-omit-frame-pointer -pipe -fPIC  -I/usr/local/java/include -I/usr/local/java/include/genunix -I/usr/local/java/include/linux -I/usr/local/java/include/freebsd -I/usr/local/include -o tmp.s code.c
> code.c: In function `assembledCode':
> code.c:4910: fixed or forbidden register was spilled.
> This may be due to a compiler bug or to impossible asm
> statements or clauses.
> gmake: *** [tmp.s] Error 1

Current shuJIT (0.3.0a) cannot be compiled with gcc
2.7.X. I understand that /usr/bin/gcc on FreeBSD 3.X is
gcc 2.7.2.X.

Please use a release version of EGCS, such as 1.0.3 and
1.1.2, according as documents. GCC 2.7 consumes
unnecessary registers in some cases, so it causes an
insufficiency of registers.

I know, the sensitiveness to ability of C compiler is
not desirable. But it's a current limitation.

> and I have no time right now to nail down the problem any further (I
> did 8086 assembler programming in real mode, but I have no idea about
> this new 80x86 assembler syntax,

I rather like the AT&T syntax (i.e., movl) which GNU
binutils adopted.

> BTW: is there any manual describing the 80x86 assembler syntax
> used on FreeBSD's as?)

I don't have any manual for the AT&T assembler syntax,
but its mnemonics are easily reasoned by analogy from
the MASM syntax (i.e., MOV).

> Anyway, I am using the shujit-0.2.10 a.out binary version instead, and
> thus my report may be outdated.  ShuJIT (in that version) seems to
> have problems allocating heap memory, which is why I get the following
> Java VM error,

> ~SIGFPE    8*   arithmetic exception
>
> Full thread dump:
>     "Finalizer thread" (TID:0x860f208, sys_thread_t:0x9413efc, state:CW) prio=1

Thanks for your report. The problem may be gone if the
shuJIT is compiled with EGCS. The binary distribution of
0.2.10 is compiled with GCC 2.7.X.

I'll provide binary distributions with EGCS when I've
returned to my home town. Now I'm on a trip.

Kazuyuki SHUDO				Happy Hacking!
  Muraoka Lab., School of Sci. & Eng., Waseda Univ.