Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 1998 11:03:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Ports Team <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ELF -current users: HEADS UP

On 6 Sep 1998, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav wrote:

> Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net> writes:
> > Move _all_ your a.out libs (except perhaps your static ones, which can
> > most likely be deleted) to /usr/lib/aout. This frees up any other dirs to
> > be purely ELF.
>
> Hmpfs. I'd put local (ports-derived or home-grown) a.out libs in
> /usr/local/lib/aout.

Alex's suggestion wasn't terribly practical, for several mostly
strategic reasons, but it's becomes pointless to argue, because John
Polstra's added functionality to ldconfig, letting elf libraries coexist
with aout libraries.  Ldconfig now _requires_ aout libs to have 2
revision numbers, and elf ones to home only one.

This'll mean, of course, that ports will have to make far more certain,
for now on, that libs get set this way.  Many ports that use that
godforsaken GNU libtool to install shared libs do this incorrectly,
sticking in the libdir not only the intended libname.so.#.#, but ALSO
libname.so, and libname.la.  All that has to be corrected, not only in
PLISTS, but in actual installed libs, so ldconfig doesn't get bombed.

Otherwise, ldconfig could easily get tricked into interpretting an aout
lib as an elf lib.

> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).