Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:26:33 -0500
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sergio_Andr=E9s_Ligregni_Arredondo?= <chekkko@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   I wanna use FreeBSD in my laptop and it stucks booting (i can't even install it)

Hi!, listen, I have a COMPAQ Presario V2615LA (laptop) with AMD Sempron 1.8=
3Ghz 256 MB RAM 40 GB HDI have also the FreeBSD i386 6.2 CD (I also tried w=
ith 6.1 and it's the same, or 6.2 alpha and it doesn't works)
When I put the CD into my drive, and I boot from it, it appears the FreeBSD=
 booting MENU, and I choose 1 (default)(I also tried with single user, ACPI=
 disabled, safe mode) and it starts loading the devices, but, almost in the=
 end of that (I said almost because I have a desktop and there it works OK,=
 and when the following message appears, is almost the finish) the loading =
process stucks in a line that says:
=20
Timecounter ticks every 1.000 msec
=20
And the HD led keeps turned on, but the CD drive led turns off (I mean it's=
 not reading anything from CD).OK, be patiently you could say, but, I have =
waited 2 hours or more and int doesn't seem to progress.
THE FOLLOWING IS JUST FOR GIVE YOU MORE IDEA THAT MY PROBLEM IS:
I had installed Ubuntu linux (I am pretty sure FreeBSD is more powerful tha=
n linux, that's why I didn't keep Ubuntu), I said that because Ubuntu is fo=
r i386 arquitecture and it is not too compatible as FreeBSD, I think, if it=
 runs linux, it sure runs FreeBSD (and my laptop's arquitecture is not extr=
aordinary, I think is pretty common)!
=20
I have asked on freebsd-question (they sent me here) and they confirm that =
my arquitecture is i386, so I have the right CD, and which I said, I instal=
led FreeBSD in my desktop but in an external (USB) Hard Drive, when I boot =
from this, it stucks at the same line, so my CD drive is ok, I really want =
to install it in my laptop because I almost always out home (university).
I really don't know where is the real problem, but I was wondering if chang=
ing some variables with 6 (go to prompt) and disabling some drives or somet=
hing
=20
THANK YOUSergio Ligregni3rd semester student Computer Systems EngineeringTe=
cnological Institute of Quer=E9taro, M=E9xico
Madonna, The Police, Bon Jovi y muchos m=E1s en el concierto del a=F1o: LIV=
E EARTH S=F3lo por Prodigy/MSN
http://es.mx.liveearth.msn.com =