Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:09:24 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Signal 11 on 4-Stable buildworld; bad memory or what?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>

| You mean, no problems you've noticed.  You may very well be right
| about no problems, but please be aware that Windows will not
| detect/report many errors that will trip up FreeBSD.  Quiet data
| corruption is the sometimes result.

Well, I wasn't trying to impune the charater of FreeBSD, but this
cpu/ram/mobo combo I pushed pretty hard under Win2k without EVER getting
errors.  I have 128MB of RAM in it and I often had over 300MB total VM
in use.  Machine was powered up 24 x 7 and seldom rebooted for ANY
reason.  If there's a memory glitch, I'm sure it was silent as I didn't
get the problems I typically associate with low budget kit and Windows.

I've swapped the CPU for an Intel P166 and had another buildworld die,
so I don't think the K6 is to blame.  I'm going to run memtest all night
long and see if it can identify any problems.