Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:45:47 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: perl and other fixes to bsd.port.mk

On Mon, Aug 10, 1998 at 02:35:49AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * Can you fix the spacing after
>  *
>  * 	${ECHO_MSG} "===>
[...]
> Actually, they're supposed to be either two or three, depending on
> whether they are the "main" targets or not.  See if this looks better.

I'll take your word that there is some consistency hidden in
there.  ;-)

> Now, the only remaining thing is something to the equivalent of MLINKS
> in bsd.man.mk.  Do you want to take a stab at that too?

No.  :)

I guess all that really needs to be done is to recreate the link from
the appropriate file, which would be pretty easy, but my gut is
telling me that there is actually much more complex.  ;)

>  * Hmm...  This seems to interact correctly with MANPREFIX.
>
> Already tested with a bunch of p5-* ports, sir! :)

[So he tells me _after_ I write a diatribe explaining why it will not
 work with MANPREFIX.  It's a good thing I periodically research my
 diatribes or that could have been an embarassing incident.  :-]

>  * .for sub in ${PLIST_SUB}
>  * _sedsubplist!=	sym=`echo "${sub}" | ${SED} -e 's/=.*//'`; \
>  * 		val=`echo "${sub}" | ${SED} -e 's/^[^=][^=]*=//'`; \
>  * 		echo "${_sedsubplist} -e s!%%$${sym}%%!$${val}!g"
>  * .endfor
>
> That's cool.

Would be much easier with perl -i.   :)

It's basically just stolen from the support for a COOKIES variable I
wrote in a (temporarily) aborted attempt to add generic PAGE_SIZE
support (the nostalgic reader will recall a couple lengthy threads
about this from the past).

Just so you know what may perhaps possibly be coming.  :-)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.