Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:47:19 +0200
From:      Thomas Spreng <spreng@insomniac.ch>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing default DNS server

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 02:21:04PM -0400, Lord Raiden wrote:
> 	Hi all.  I've got one of my boxes that's using a DNS server that's having
> some real issues right now and It's causing me no end to grief.  I'd like
> to tell it to use a different set of DNS servers without having to reboot
> it as I can't reboot it for the time being due to a number of processes I
> have running on it.  The DNS is aquired by the machine via DHCP when it
> first boots.
>
> 	So basically what I want to do is:
>
> 	1.  Change the current primary and secondary DNS servers loaded into
> memory which were originally taken from DHCP while the server is running.
> 	2.  Specify manual DNS entries in the system for those machines unable to
> pull DNS settings from DHCP.
>
> 	Thanks all.

Hello,

since you're running dhclient you have to tell it to override or prepend
the dns server addresses that you're getting from the dhcp server.
'man dhclient.conf' is your friend.

Here is how it looks in my dhclient.conf:
interface "fxp1" {
        prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
}

after changing your config, restart the dhclient process and check your
/etc/resolv.conf if it worked.

Bye