Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:26:24 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "'Julien Pham'" <jpham@mis.mc>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Final confrontation : linux/freeBSD vs Windows : the WAR

The position is simple:

Try both of them.  Pick the one you like.

As far as the Windows community being afraid of Linux, I'm
pretty sure that this is just some wishful
thinking from the Linux community.  I think, though, that
it's more accurate to say that the Windows community is
mesmerized by it.  It's like the cat staring into a fishtank,
they can't quite understand what's going on, they just know
that there's a lot of interesting activity going on there,
and they would like to figure out how to put a paw in
there and grab some of that activity for themselves, without
getting wet.

With that said, though, it is certainly the case that there
is a kind of a war of development models - ie: Published (as
opposed to Open) Source vs Closed Source.  Most of the Windows developers
are from the Closed Source camp, they were raised that way and they
are pretty adamant that they don't want their code visible to
the public.  Originally, most of the UNIX folks were the same
way, but I'd hazard a guess that it's getting close to 50-50
of Closed UNIX source folks as Open UNIX source folks.  There's
a lot of question that if a major UNIX commercial software vendor
were to open their source, that it really would make a difference.

I'm going to illustrate this by discussing a hypothetical situation
of Oracle publishing their source to their UNIX database product.  The
knee-jerk response is that if they do this that all their rivals are
going to steal all their techniques.  However, I think that actually
 it would make it even harder for their rivals
to steal code techniques.  For example, today, if Informix goes and hires 10
of the top Oracle developers, then 6 months later comes out with a
competing database product that does a similar function as an existing
Oracle one, then it's pretty difficult to drag Informix into court
and conclusively prove that the code was stolen.  Your going to get
all of the 10 developers swearing that they didn't violate their
NDA's with Oracle, and then what is the court supposed to to - call
all of them liars?

If, on the other hand, Oracle source were published, and Informix were
to steal a bunch of developers and do the same thing, why then
it would be a lot harder for Informix to claim that their developers
didn't appropriate code from Oracle - since the Oracle code is hanging
right out in front of God and everybody.  In fact, there would be
tremendous pressure on Informix to open their code to prove to the
world that they wern't a pack of thieves.

Another argument against publishing commercial source is that your going
to lose sales, but this is poppycock.  Nobody that is running
a million-dollar database installation is going to employ
programmers to roll their own database from published Oracle code - for
starters it completely destroys any chance of getting any support
from Oracle, and if you have a failure your so screwed it's
not even funny.

Not only that, but if Oracle were to publish source with the
stipulation that it wasn't to be used commercially, then
all it would take is a disgruntled admin that was fired
from some company to blow the whistle on them rolling their
own source, and the SPA and everyone else would be
issuing massive fines.  I think if you explore this you
will find that simply publishing commercial source isn't
going to materially affect sales - about all it would do is
enable some shoestring operations to illegally use your
source for commercial operations, and those folks don't
currently represent a market anyway.

If there is any fear in the Windows community, it's much more
a fear of the market starting to realize that they can demand
that Windows software developers publish source.  Right now, I think
that it's safe to say that few Linux and FreeBSD users would
use programs that they cannot get source to.  Well, that's almost
a 180 degree turnaround from 10 years ago.  I remember 10 years back
when the "cheap UNIXs" were Covalent and Minix.  I don't remember
Covalent ever opening their source, and as for Minix, it has a
tremendously restrictive license on it's source.  Yet, people were
very happy to get binary-only distributions of them.

If the Windows market follows this, we could well see a scenario
in 10 years where users tell Microsoft that unless they publish their
Windows
source that they aren't going to buy any more Microsoft
products.  Today, there's kind of an implicit assumption that anything
that's public source is automatically licensed so that it's free to
use without compensation.  ie: there's a linkage in the public
mind between truly Open Source, and source that is merely published
but not really Open.  But, this really isn't true - look at
the situation with book copyrights, after all.  For example,
with my book, it's certainly published, but you don't see a bunch
of illegal printing factories grinding out copies down at the
waterfront, do you?  Yet, using the "people will steal our code
if we publish our source" logic on book publishing, you would be
seeing bookstores flooded with Harry Potter books that were illegally
printed in the back room of some sleazy dive.  Well, you don't see
this because books are protected by Copyright law - and guess what,
SO IS SOFTWARE!  So, someone needs to explain to me how it is that
the SAME copyright law that protects book publishers from having
their published books from being ripped off, is NOT going to protect
software developers from having their published code from being
ripped off.  Not only that but the book  publishing industry doesen't
even have some industry organization like the SPA that finks can
call and get $1000 rewards for ratting out piracy.

Frankly, the REAL reason that most of the Windows developers don't
publish their code is simply because their code is so CRAPPY,
because it's developed in pressure-cooker environments, or by
irresponsible young programmers that are given 2 months to do
a task, and spend 6 weeks playing foosball on the foosball table
that is in their office that they pushed the company to get
for them, then cram for 2 weeks to shat out something that barely
runs and has had no testing whatsoever done to it.  Most of
these Windows companies would be publicaly humiliated if
their code was available for perusal.  Once
the computing public wakes up to this they are going to start
asking to see the code, and Linux, FreeBSD and the rest of the
Open Source community is bringing this closer to reality every day.