Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:54:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        jwd@unx.sas.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd: realloc/free bug

Matthew Dillon writes:
> :It's not trivial if you want to guarantee that no signals are missed.
> :There's no way atomically to: unblock signals and call select().
>
>     If you put a time limit on select(), it doesn't matter if there is a
>     race condition there.  How does select() cause a signal to be missed ?

Well, sure.. :-) but then you don't service signals in real time
and spend extra cycles timing out all the time.

By the way, from man select(2):

  BUGS
     select() should probably return the time remaining from the original
     timeout, if any, by modifying the time value in place.  This may be im-
     plemented in future versions of the system.  Thus, it is unwise to assume
     that the timeout value will be unmodified by the select() call.

Is this ever going to be implemented? I think this warning's been
around for at least 10 years now..

-Archie