Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 08:17:56 +0200
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
To:        dsyphers@uchicago.edu, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernelbuild "the new way" (Was: APM not even a sign)

On Saturday 22 June 2002 23:20, David Syphers wrote:

> On Saturday 22 June 2002 03:59 pm, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> > On Friday 21 June 2002 23:24, jogegabsd wrote:
> > > Hello all. I'm trying to run apm on my laptop with 4.6-RELEASE.
> > > Now I had also this problem with 4.5-RELEASE.
> > > I reconfigure my kernel from this
> > How do you build your kernel? By "the new way" ('make buildkernel
> > KERNCONF=MYKERNEL' etc.)?
> > I just went through the same hell this afternoon trying to get apm
> > working on
> > my ThinkPad. Followed every guidelines. Didn't work. (device not
> > configured).
> > Then I just went in and build the kernel "the old way"
> > #cd /usr/src/sys/i386/config
> > #/usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
> > #cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
> > #make depend
> > #make
> > #make install
> >
> > Voila... suddenly apm worked like a charm.... isn't the first time "the
> > new way" have given me headaches.
> I belive the "new way" is _only_ for when you're upgrading the entire
> system - it's for use between buildworld and installworld.  The "old way"
> is still the way for when you're just building your kernel.

Well, I think Handbook is a bit vague on this. It does say that "the old way"
should be used when the source haven't been updated. But since I alway cvsup
my sourcetree prior to a kernelbuild (and subsequent make world) this really
doesn't apply. "The new way" should be fine for me, but alas, isn't.

> Did you actually check to see if a new kernel was being installed?

Yup.

Bjarne
--
Homepage: http://www.mekanix.dk