Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:35:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        bcrosby@interlog.com (Blake Crosby)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing Free BSD

Blake Crosby writes:

> Hello!
>
>         My name is Blake Crosby and I about to purchace Free BSD from you
> CD-ROM Distributor (can't remember the name).

Should be Walnut Creek CDROM.  They're the ones I'd recommend, anyway.

> But before I do, I would like to ask some specific questions.
>
>         Currently I am Running Win95 on a 486 DX2/66 with 8 MB of RAM, and a
> 14.4 bps modem. I know that this is not nearly enough power to successfully
> maintain a server to the www. But when I signed up with my service provider
> (Interlog [www.interlog.com]) they gave me my own static IP address
> (205.206.70.59), and I dont want this to go to waste. The reason why I want
> to get Free BSD now is because in the future I will be upgrading my bandwith
> to atleast 500kbps.
>
>         I am comfertable with adding and removing partitions but What I
> would really like to know is if I am able to run Free BSD with win95, will
> the Free BSD partition(s) interfere with the booting/operation of win95.
> Here is the following file system on my computer:
>
>         Drive           Comments
>
>         A:              3.5" Floppy 1.44 MB
>         B:              5.25" Floppy 1.22 MB
>         C:              MS-DOS Drive 511 MB   *Compressed with Stacker*
>         D:              CD-ROM Drive 2x speed
>         E:              Subst Drive 407 MB
>         I:              Host for drive c: 406 MB

You don't say what kind of disks they are, or where you intend to
install FreeBSD.  On the whole, it's easier to install FreeBSD on a
partition on the first disk (the one MS-DOS calls C:).  Also, if your
CD-ROM is ATAPI (IDE), you should have it set up as slave of the
primary IDE controller.  Looking at the drive letters, this is
probably what you have.  Note that your drive letters may shift if
you add additional partitions.

To your question: FreeBSD shouldn't interfere with booting Windows
95%.  You'll probably want to use the FreeBSD boot manager, which will
give a choice of boot partition, but if you decide on Windows 95%
(which the boot manager will probably call MS-DOS), it should boot up
normally.

>         I would also like to know if that Free BSD will be compatible or
> have a smiliar program to MS-DOS' "Laplink". So that I cam update files from
> my laptop to the Free BSD system.

I don't know of LapLink, but if you have an Ethernet board on your
notebook, you could use FTP.  Otherwise (shudder) you could use uucp,
which is also available for the DOS world as uupc.

Greg