Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 1996 20:00:07 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960226-SNAP now on ftp.freebsd.org

> Further, using the latest XFree86 betas against a -current system
> shows strange effects.  Running the server with the (new) Xkb
> extension enabled immediately freezes the machine after the first
> couple of X clients popped up.  Running without the extension only
> seldom freezes, but i can give a good bet in that ~ 50 % of all
> attempts to login my notebook via PPP (@ 115 kbps on a plain 16450
> UART) would freeze it, too.  I'm not yet sure whether to blame XFree86
> or FreeBSD for these effects.

This is a known problem with the xkbd stuff - it's trampling memory somewhere
& people are still trying to figure it out. It shows up more on FreeBSD than
others becuase of Pohl's u-beaut space-saving-super-swift malloc code. A
number of Xfree86 people and members of the X Consortium (Hi Kaleb) are
working on it.

	Stephen
--

        I do not speak for the Worker's Compensation Board of Queensland -
                     They don't pay me enough for that!