Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 23:45:15 -0600
From:      Tetsuji Rai <tetsuji@texas.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   QIC failure on FreeBSD-2.1.0R

Hi,
   I am a novice FreeBSD user (about 3weeks) but have been using BSDI for about
3 or 4 years.   Most things are the same as BSDI and it's quite easy
to move.  However I found my QIC tape doesn't work properly on FreeBSD, which
was working perfect on BSDI.  Symptom is, reading tapes with tar (which were
written in my BSDI days and by other's Sun) fails.  I tried copying some
files using cp (like "cp <file> /dev/rwt0", and vice versa), and found, it
doesn't seem to read correct data (or writing may also be wrong).

My tape drive is Wangtek 5150PK on isa and the setting is port = 0x338
and irq 5, drq 1.  This setting is not default, but kernel detects correctly
(message says: Dec 20 23:06:45 texas /kernel: wt0 at 0x338-0x339 irq 5 drq 1
on isa)
because I modified the kernel configuration file.  And my FreeBSD version
is 2.1.0-RELEASE.   I didn't change my configuration since I changed to
FreeBSD, and of course this configuration was working perfectly on BSDI.

   So I would like to hear suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

-Tetsuji