Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 15:59:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Termcap vs. screen

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Dan Nelson wrote:

> in the last episode, Dave Babler said:
> > I have been trying to get 'screen' to work. It makes okay, installs okay
> > but what keeps messing up is that no matter what I do, it ALWAYS wants to
> > use its own idea of the screen (SC) termcap/terminfo entry...
>
> Screen is doing what it's supposed to be doing.  Screen is a terminal
> emulator.  It translates the SC terminal codes (which happen to look
> like regular ANSI codes, but don't depend on that) into the codes for
> your particular terminal.  For a while, I used screen on Heath/Zenith
> z19 terminals so I could run programs with VT100 codes hardcodes into
> them.
>
> What specifically is wrong with the builtin termcap entry?  It
> describes exactly the capabilities of the SC terminal that screen
> emulates.  You shouldn't even need the SC termcap entry in
> /etc/termcap, unless you're telnetting around to different machines. If
> screen output looks funny, it's probably a problem with the original
> termcap entry that screen read when it started, not with screen's
> internal termcap entry.

The screen port supplies a termcap/terminfo definition (screencap) with
comments in the make file to include it into the overall term database.
As I mentioned, almost NONE of my users have vt100 emulation, so
defaulting to the vt100 emulation is 100% worthless to them. I've
redefined the screen termcap entry, included it and recompiled the
termcap/terminfo database - screen simply does not use it. It always
includes a magical (compiled in) version of vt100, regardless of what
terminal type you start with (including cons25 and the actual,
honest-to-god, live 'screen' type from termcap). The SC/screen definition
has been edited to approximate the capabilities my users have, which
means the entire entry has been essentially replaced with ":tc=ansibbs".

-Dave