Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:00:12 -0400
From:      "John R. LoVerso" <loverso@sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [re]writable cdrom drive

> > This does not actually erase the data, so if you have used say 100MB
> > you will only have 550MB left.  You can actually erase the media using
> > 'cdrecord blank=all', which takes a while.
> In my experience, this is not true.  I have used blank=fast on a CDRW
> that has over 500 MB written, and then written another 500 MB without

I think there's a little confusion here and I don't want to add to it.  But...

I thought it the case that a CDRW that is fully reformatted (taking 30 minutes;
equivalent to blank=all?) can hold 650MB, while a CDRW that is quickly
reformatted (to packet writing aka DirectCD-formatting; is this what blank=fast
does?) can hold only about 500 MB.  It doesn't matter how is on the disk before
the quick format happens.

John