Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:35:50 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), Bob Shaw <bob@securify.com>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux_base-6.1: Are Linux threads supported?

> > > I'd like to install Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 RC3 on FreeBSD 3.4
> > > with linux_base-6.1. I know there are some Blackdown problems with
> > > native threads, but I have not been able to determine whether there
> > > are any FreeBSD-specific problems that will remain once Blackdown
> > > gets their release fixed. Will native threads at the JDK level map to
> > > native threads at the FreeBSD 3.4 level? (If so, is there any idea how
> > > performance will compare to native Linux?)
> >
> > FreeBSD has no native 'kernel threads', so it won't help out.  However,
> > the Linux JIT is a *big* improvement.
>
> I could have sworn to have used linux kernel threads in FreeBSD 8)

Linux kernel threads are not native kernel threads.  They are not part
of the standard distribution, they have an incompatible license, and do
not scale very well on most Java applications.  However, for *certain*
applications they do work, but these are limited to mostly CPU-bound
applications that do light I/O.  Applications that have lots of I/O
threads will not work well with the Linux-threads stuff.  (While
applications run with the green-threads version tends to work *very*
well, almost as well as C code.)

Nate