Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 16:29:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   The Great Trademark Debate

Once upon a time in the land of -chat there was a great debate regarding
the dire consequences of Walunt Creek owning the FreeBSD trademark. It
occured to an enterprising individual that this could hamper the
commercial acceptance of FreeBSD and therefore be the end of the OS and
the community.

In the midst of the great trademark debate, with conspicous coincidence,
the enterprising individual happened upon a business opportunity. This
particular opportunity hinged precariously on the use of the FreeBSD
trademark. The debate heightened owing to the consequences faced by our
enterpriser.

It seems that nothing ever became of this great and terrible issue of
Walnut Creek owning the Trademark. It seems that once the great debate
vanished, so did the enterpriser's contempory opportunity.

We have now before us the great emulation debate. Once again we have a
contempory issue hinged on the discourse of the debate, the FreeBSD ABI.
Once again it is the same individual. Conspicous coincidence?

More like modus operandi!

Raise an issue. Create a need in the midst of the issue as a rhetorical
device. Point to the contrived need in support of your argument. Classical
Glass 101.

We are not stupid. We have memories that last longer than one of these
threads. (Which can be quite long I might add.) Brett just claimed in
exchange with Jordan that his predictions come true. That might convince a
few who haven't much of a basis for evaluating his claims. It doesn't
convince me.

My point in writing this message is not to enter into debate with Mr.
Glass though I know that is inevitable. My point is to endear those who
have not been reading Mr. Glass over a period of time to know that he has
a history of being a serious pain in the ass.

I assert that he adds little to the discourse with his continual bleating.
I have heard it for three years now. In three years FreeBSD continues to
move forward. The OS continues to advance. We have more commerical
acceptance than ever. Or did I misread the news that BSDi and FreeBSD are
getting married? Did I misread that Apple is using huge chunks of FreeBSD
in Darwin. Everything in the FreeBSD camp gets better and better. Brett's
warnings continue to get more strident.

He is just plain wrong. His efforts do more to deconstruct FreeBSD's
success than to help it. (at least in the mailing list forums)
Unfortunately, folks in the community and (it appears) Jordan especially
must commit large numbers of man-hours performing damage control after
Brett's tirades.

Yea, if one is a naysayer then eventually history will give you a chance
to be right. I am sure we will all hear about it the day that one of
Brett's warnings proves out.

But until then there are a great many successes to be had. And after that
day life goes on.

Please consider what I have said before you give Mr. Glass and his
warnings credibility. They are exciting. They are not useful. Take care
not to get excited without cause.

Sincerly,
Jason C. Wells

(Wondering why he wrote so much when he really just wants to say, "Shut
the hell up already! For fuck's sake. What the fuck is your fucking
problem?" I guess the internet makes folks pedantic.)