Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:04:49 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>, hackers@freebsd.org, roberto@eurocontrol.fr
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup with SSH

John Polstra writes:
>> set lport 6666
>
>One caution:  Don't everybody start using 6666, or this thing will never
>work.  It has to be a port that's free on both your local machine and on
>the server host.  If everybody starts using 6666, they'll be colliding
>before long.  Pick some creative individual number.  Better yet, make
>the script choose one semi-randomly.

I thought about that and didn't post the script with my real port
in it ;-)

>I was wondering the same thing.  Could some ssh expert answer that,
>please?
>
>The only idea I could think of was something like this:
>
>    ssh -L 5999:localhost:5999 -R $lport:localhost:$lport freefall sleep 3600

Yea I thought about that too, but the network between here and freefall
is *so* unprediciable that the sleep could end up timing out before the
update finished.  I guess I could crank the sleep up to something
like a couple days... That's why my update script graduated from
/bin/sh to expect.

>John
>--
>   John Polstra                                       jdp@polstra.com
>   John D. Polstra & Co., Inc.                Seattle, Washington USA
>   "Self-knowledge is always bad news."                 -- John Barth

thanks again.
eric.
--
erich@lodgenet.com