Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:38:59 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG

[Trimmed the cc: line, lost -ports]

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 10:06:36AM -0500, John Fieber wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> > We need a decent search engine for the mail archives and possibly also
> > provide a threaded list of the archived messages.
>
> Show me a free mail threader that won't be completely crushed
> when you throw 600+ megabytes of mail at it and I'll be most
> appreciative.

Possibly (and I stress possibly) MHonArc v2.2. I've been doing a bunch of
stuff with it at work recently, and I hope to be able to test out some of
these changes by throwing it at chunks of the -hackers archives.

I'll be doing this testing on my own box, *not* freefall :-)

About the only problem with the MHonArc + glimpse approach (if it can
handle the amount of messages) will be that you will lose the ability to
search multiple mailing lists at once. That's not an insurmountable problem
though.

I should be doing this testing sometime within the next week, free time
permitting.

> I've actually considered postgres for a thread
> index based on message-id, but mail clients are a lot worse, on
> average, with proper referencing than news clients so the
> threading achieved by this method is little better than sorting
> by subject line.

A cursory glance at the index of my MUA (Mutt) which does references and/or
in-reply-to threading, shows that 90% (+/- 5%) of the messages I've got
stored from the FreeBSD lists thread correctly, so it may be more pervasive
than you think.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?