Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 13:08:57 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Paul MacKenzie <elephant@cgocable.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hello

At 03:53 PM 3/8/98 -0500, Paul MacKenzie wrote:
>I am trying to set up FREE-BSD on a cable modem connection and am having a
>few problems I am not sure I cant figure out. I have everything running
>internally, but when I try to ping outside it does not work. There are a
>lot of incomming packets dropped with the error "unknown socket". I can
>give more details if necessary..

Sorry i don't know the official definition for "unknown socket", but here's
some stuff you want to check first:
1. Your vx0 interface is brought "up" properly and has the correct IP
assigned to it (in rc.conf). If your ISP uses DHCP, you'll need to get the
WIDE-DHCP or ISC DHCP clients.
2. You have a default route set (in rc.conf).
3. Your DNS servers are set properly (in resolv.conf).

>Also, is ther a reason why the vx0 driver for the 3com card is not
>specified in the kernel install section. I am searching for a description
>to place in the custom kernel

They're probably too busy working on other stuff, and people find out one
way or another that vx0 can also be the 3c900 or 3c905, so they don't
complain.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org