Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:24:30 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Optimizing space utilization

I am looking for certain info on the filesystem to try to maximize space
utilization.

Any pointers/URLs would be appreciated.

What I am trying to find out is:

-- What is the smallest unit FreeBSD manages. Is this a block or fragment?
>From what I have seen FreeBSD creates blocks of size 8K by default.

-- What is a fragment (man newfs has a "frag size")

--What space does an inode entry takes?
How many file entries go into each Inode? If I know how many files I have
for a fs I am trying to see if space could be saved by using less inodes.

-- One of the options in newfs is to optimize for "space". Does it really
save space? What kind of degradation will be seen by using that flag
instead  of "time" optimization?.

I will use the info for a small server I am setting, but will also put it
into a small tutorial I am writing: "Sizing filesystems"

----
francisco@natserv.com
The power to serve.   http://www.freebsd.org