Date:      Wed, 6 May 2009 22:14:42 +0200
From:      Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
To:        Helmut Schneider <jumper99@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [7.2] R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem not clean - run fsck.

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 09:18:02PM +0200, Helmut Schneider wrote:
> Marat N.Afanasyev <amarat@ksu.ru> wrote:
> >Helmut Schneider wrote:

> >>I do have such thing (IBM Blade Center) but I'm looking for something to
> >>avoid the situation above. Something that lets me at least boot into
> >>single user mode.

> >if you have an ip-kvm you can drop into single-user and fsck any disk you
> >have. all you need to do is to choose 'single user' from beastie-menu. or
> >start kernel with -s parameter

> I *do* now how to enter single user mode but the kernel panic'ed *before*
> the shell started. :)

The problem is that, if something is so far wrong that you can't even
get to the single-user shell, then there probably isn't anything else
but rescue.

One thing that might be an option:  at work, we use PXE for Linux and
FreeBSD installs, so one thing I've done is to create a pxeboot rescue
image (using the mfsroot from the rescue CD).  This means that, if there
is this sort of problem, we can boot into rescue mode from the network
(the BIOS is also redirected to the serial console) and not have to
worry about swapping CDs.  The same thing should also work for remote
locations.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk@byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL