Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 20:10:59 -0800
From:      Greg White <gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP -STABLE kernel broken between Sunday and today?

On Fri Nov 11/08/02, 2002 at 11:38:44PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> This evening, in response to a crash of one of my servers, I did an CVSUP
> of the -STABLE code and installed a new kernel ... upon rebooting, it
> 'hung' at the point that of:
>
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>
> according to the techs @ rackspace ... my previous kernel on that machine
> worked fine (from Oct 12th), so something has changed ... but, I was just
> thinking about it, and my machine at the office is running an SMP kernel
> as well, as her last upgrade was based on sources from Sunday, November
> 3rd ...

Search the archives of this list, and thou shalt find that machdep.c has
been broken for some hardware configurations for a few days now. Mostly,
from the reports (and my own experience) it seems to be PPros that are
affected. Go back to a rev 1.385.2.25 or older, and likely your problem
will go away. Either that, or just run the old kernel until someone MFCs
the correct fix. :)

--
Greg White