Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 14:59:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Java Workshop runs on FreeBSD!

Last night I made a quick attempt to run SunSoft's Java Workshop under
the Linux JDK under FreeBSD-current.  To my surprise, after hacking up
the shell scripts a little (e.g. BSD uses "uname -m" instead of "uname
-p") I was able to successful start JWS, compile a simple program, and
execute it in the included Java Web browser.  Unfortunately, any socket
activity raised an exception, so neither HTTP nor the debugger (which
spawns a separate copy of JWS) worked.  Otherwise I would have published
a checklist of what I did, and where to get all these programs, but I
want to test things a little further.  In the meantime, enterprising
hackers may want to check out http://www.sun.com for JWS Dev 4 Beta, and
http://www.blackdown.org/ for the Linux JDK.

I'm also waiting for the Dev 5 release of Java Workshop, since the Dev 4
beta expires on June 1.  If I can get everything working, I will post an
official announcement.  I wish I could make this a port, but because of
the licensing status of all programs involved, this is obviously not
possible.  In the meantime, interested parties can contact me if you want
to help test JWS under FreeBSD or Linux, help solve the remaining Socket
problem, and/or try to get a native FreeBSD port of the JDK capable of
running JWS.

---Jake