Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 22:24:27 -0500
From:      "Jim King" <jim@jimking.net>
To:        "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: affordable wireless

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to have 802.11 wireless for home
> users? Naturally it should be supported by FreeBSD. Configuruation can be
> done on any pc os though.
>
> My only affordable solution so far is to use the Apple AirPort base
station,
> and wavelan pcmcia cards, but I don't know if they can co-exist, and the
> AirPort needs a Macintosh to configure. My idea of affordable for this is
> less then $500, the lucent wavelan solution works out to about $900
startup,
> that's a little out of my budget.

Check out the stuff at www.buffalotech.com.  Their plain base station is
$279, and is supposed to be compatible with anything that uses 802.11b, so
hopefully it would work with the Lucent cards (about $190 each?).  I haven't
used their stuff or read any reviews on it, I just ran across one of their
ads today.

Jim