Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 07:19:19 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>, Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var/spool/{mqueue,clientmqueue} and 'mailq'

At 12:04 AM 5.9.2002 -0400, Alan E wrote:
>On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:33:22PM -0700, Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:
>>alane> I just can seem to find any docs that explain to me why
>>
>>Start with /etc/mail/README.
>
>Indeed I did.
>
>>alane> (1) no bounces or warnings ever get sent when stuff gets stuck in
>>alane> /var/spool/clientmqueue, and
>>
>>Assuming you haven't turned off:
>>sendmail_msp_queue_enable="YES"	# Dequeue stuck clientmqueue mail (YES/NO).
>>
>>in /etc/rc.conf, "stuck" items should get tried every half hour.  If they
>>aren't getting out a bounce will be generated.  But if mail can't get out,
>>the bounces probably can't either.
>
>Shouldn't I get a warning locally? Mail that's stuck there (has been
>stuck there) has been because of a failed DNS lookup on the target host.
>>
>>alane> (3) why mailq only tells me about /var/spool/mqueue.
>>
>>See the mailq man page:
>>
>>mailq -Ac
>
>MAILQ(1)                                                 MAILQ(1)
>

>NAME
>       mailq - print the mail queue
>
>       SYNOPSIS
>              mailq [-v]

...a further question I have that I don't see in the mailq man pages is how
to kill the remaining part of a majordomo mailing where the system wants to
keeping trying to deliver some stale-addressed remaining emails for up to 5
days. These emails will never be delivered because the address have become
stale. I have removed them from the mail list so they won;t be there at the
next mailing, but, the mqueue is still trying to deliver them needlessly.
That queue was uselful in shwoing the bad addresses, but need to be
purged.... but how...???

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone