Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:06:40 +1300
From:      andrew@squiz.co.nz (Andrew McNaughton)
To:        xcene@c2i.net, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No handbook / FAQ in FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE ?

At 1:26 AM 22/2/98, xcene/dance wrote:
>Hi!
>I just acquired the FreeBSD 2.2.5 November 1997 4cd release from Walnut Creek
>CDROM, and installed on my PC.
>
>My problem is that I cannot be able to find the handbook or FAQ at all.
>The default /etc/motd tells me to look in /usr/share/doc/handbook but there's
>no such directory. I've tried reinstalling the DOC and INFO dists, but
>still no
>handbook available.

The labelling of the CD's leaves a little to be desired.  CD 4 is labelled
Docs and Extra Utilities, but the docs seem to be mostly on CD 3, labelled
CVS Repository.

The docs are at file://FBSD225_3/WWW/INDEX.HTM or some capitalization
variation thereof, depending what OS you're using to look at the docs while
setting up FreeBSD.  This is a right pain, since all the links are broken
by the 8.3 file names.

The same problem with file names cropped up when trying to install FreeBSD
via FTP from my Mac.  It would be really nice if the installer could look
for the translation tables on the ftp site and make use of them rather than
assuming that the remote site will do this.

Andrew McNaughton

 The effort to understand the universe is       Andrew McNaughton
 one of the very few things that lifts            ++64 4 389 6891
 human life above the level of farce,          andrew@squiz.co.nz
 and gives it some of the grace            http://www.squiz.co.nz
 of tragedy  -  Steven Weinberg         http://www.newsroom.co.nz