Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:15:05 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dualboot, first fbsd, then xp

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:40:48PM +0200, Tobias Roth wrote:

> Is it save to install WinXP after FreeBSD? My IBM recovery cd goofed
> up my WinXP and I'd like to reinstall XP only and keep my existing
> FreeBSD slices intact. Same goes for the MBR, of course.
>=20
> And yes, I will back up my data in any case, but I'd still hate it if
> I had to set up my whole system again.

It's safe enough, in that the WinXP install will not gratuitously chew
up your FreeBSD partitions unless you tell it to.  However, it will
probably overwrite the MBR, thus effectively hiding your FreeBSD
installation.  You can recover by booting up from your FreeBSD
installation media, choosing the Fixit mode and re-installing the
FreeBSD boot manager from there -- see the boot0cfg(8) man page for
details.

Hmmm... It's a long time since I had any dealings with a Microsoft OS,
but I seem to remember that they always preferred to go in the first
partition (slice, in FreeBSD parlance) on the drive.  Dunno if that's
still true.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20