Date:      Fri, 03 Jul 1998 15:46:55 -0400
From:      Mike Jeays <mike.jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, "Dag-Erling Coidan  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=" <smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beginning user's OS (was: Here is a really odd question!!!)

They would probably learn assembler as quickly as any of the 'regular' 3 GLs -
once they get the idea of a register being a sort of pigeon-hole that you can
put a number into, I think a bright child would make very rapid progress.
Whether teaching them assembler would be a 'good thing' or not, I am reluctant
to say...

I agree that a language with a clean, regular syntax, and which enables the
more skilled to progress to more advanced ideas, is ideal.  I personally
favour TK/TCL - the speed with which you can get real windowed applications
running is almost without equal, and there is a smooth gradation from trying
elementary statements to building complex windowed apps.

But aren't we off topic - the original question was about OSs, not programming
languages?  I recently was visited by a nephew and niece (18 and 16
respectively) who have never seen a GUI other than Windows.  I showed them my
FreeBSD/fvwm setup, and they were able to use it easily, and of course found
Netscape completely familiar.  They seemed quite surprised there was anything
other than Windows...