Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:42:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@hotmail.com>, Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Win2k, FreeBSD, Small Home Network, Router

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Dave VanAuken wrote:

> perhaps my ignorance here...  i believe 192.X is routable, you should
> be using 192.168.X.X or 10.X.X.X as your IP addresses for internal
> non-routable.

Yes, that's correct. There's also a third one you can use, whose numbers
I forget. See RFC1918.

> check your netmasks on both...  same?

That was my first thought. What I'm using is 192.168.1.x, with all
netmasks set to 255.255.255.0. It seems that (some parts of) WinDoze
didn't know what to do with a "class B" network, but once I made it
"class C" everyone was happy. Sorry for the archaic terminology.

> what about domain name?

Shouldn't matter, as long as you're pinging by IP rather than by name.

> assuming your are trying to ping rather than establish some other sort
> of connection (samba) which may be the source of other ocnfiguration
> problems.

Yes. I've found TCP/IP is *much* easier to get working than Samba, so
get TCP/IP set up first. One step at a time.

[major snippage]

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy expunging <-> ]