Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:34:25 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software Watchdog

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 03:47:14PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:21:08 -0500 (EST)
> Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net> wrote:
>
> > Sean Kelly has implemented a software watchdog based on input from myself
> > and Peter.  This works through a simple watcdog daemon that checks in with
> > the kernel every so often.  The kernel complains via hardclock() if the
> > watchdog times out.  This will be very useful for debugging hard lockups
> > because hardclock() comes in through a fast intr.  There are few things
> > that will stop hardclock() from firing.
>
> Is there also the possibility to reset the machine instead of complaining?

Presently, the behavior is as follows:
* If kernel built with DDB, do backtraces and drop to DDB.
* If kernel built without DDB, panic and let the panic reboot the machine.

The reason for not using panic() in the case of kernels with DDB is so the
panic() is not fatal (i.e. you can return from a watchdog timeout).

In the end, I'd like to make the whole thing obey debug.debugger_on_panic
if it is present.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly@zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org